Derek and Allison
I’m starting to think that the story to watch for next year is Derek and Allison. Their histories are, at the close of season two, incredibly similar.
- Both experienced intense, forbidden relationships that went hideously awry.
- Both were manipulated by people close to them, to do harm to other people close them.
- Both lost most of their family to violent tragedy, save one close authority figure, and one injured, psychologically damaged relation who’s effectively MIA. (Which makes me wonder if Chris is scheduled to die next year, for the sake of symmetry).
- Both were trained to be fighters, and thrust into leadership too early, and ill prepared.
- Both went on ill advised, violent power trips, that made things go even more hideously awry for everyone in Beacon Hills.
- And now, both are weighed down by their respective family legacies and guilt, and will have to contend with next year’s big bad(s).
In terms of emotional makeup, they may be more foils than complementary characters, but Victoria’s death brought out some rather Derek-y characteristics in Allison. As leaders they’re pragmatic, goal-oriented and capable of breathlessly casual cruelty. They’re also inexperienced and rely too much on their feelings to carry them through a fight. But what makes them foils is their flaws. Derek’s is pride (in his abilities, position and knowledge). Allison’s is her fear (of being weak, being left behind, of being kept in the dark).
So I think it’ll be interesting to see if the show continues to set up plot parallels between them. I kind of think it has to, with the Hales and Argents now trapped in a useless, generational revenge tragedy, it would be a shame not to exploit that angle to the utmost.